Monday, July 19, 2004

It's an All-Star Monday!

I noticed on Pennsylvania Football News' website over the weekend that Ernie Fetzer has taken the coaching job at Somerset.  Just looking at it with the football glasses on, it's a good hire.  He's a guy with a proven track record (District 6-AAAA title at Vo-Tech and many good squads at Westmont) but so was Frank Krevetski.  Honestly, I wouldn't touch that job with a ten-foot pole until the teachers get a contract otherwise, you're working every year with the possibility of a strike.
 
Still think I'm crazy with what I said about the Marlins last week?  Think again, the Pirates swept them in Pittsburgh over the weekend.  Oliver Perez had another outstanding outing.  It's a shame he didn't get the win, but the rain delay really ended that.  Not a bad line though for a no-decision:  6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 K.  Mesa gets another save.  Other good news in Pirateland, it has been reported that there will be a news conference tomorrow announcing the return of the All-Star Game to the 'burgh in 2006.  It will be the first time the all-star game is in Pittsburgh since 1994.  As a fan that attended that game I would encourage any baseball fan to try to get tickets to this game.  I know I will do whatever I can to get there!
 
From the "say it ain't so" category:  yesterday the Post-Gazette ran a story in which they reported local celebrities and people of note and how much they have contributed to either the Bush or Kerry campaigns.  Steelers' future hall-of-fame running back Jerome Bettis dropped a $2,000 check to BUSH!  UGH!!!  Jerome, I'm with you on the slots and racetrack in the 'burgh but I'm not with you on this one brother!
 
I've given up on watching the TV coverage of the Tour De Lance.  I'll get what I need from the radio/internet updates.  All I know is, Lance is only 22 seconds behind and the real hill climbing is ready to begin.  Game over.
 
Best wishes to Dale Earnhardt, Jr. in his recovery from burns in what looked like a terrible incident in the American Le Mans Series.  It actually was one of the lead news stories on "Today" this morning.
 
Holborn Hanover was the biggest long shot ever to win the Meadowlands Pace Saturday night.  The horse, driven by Jim Morrill, Jr., went off at 58-1 and paid $119, $31, $11.80.  I backed the #10 horse Metropolitan that was driven by, in my opinion, the best harness driver in the history of the sport, John Campbell.  I thought I had a winner, Campbell had won other Meadowlands Pace races from the 10 spot.  The horse looked strong, but got overtaken in the stretch and held on for show.  I won $5.60 but really was in the hole 40 cents since I bet $6 on the race!  I really wish I would have seen something in the program that would have convinced me to drop $20 and bet $2 on every horse in the field to win.  I would have profited nearly $100!!!  Oh well, all was not lost as I bet a horse in the first race at the Meadows $2 across the board and it won and paid $50.20 combined.  Not a bad astart for a guy who hasn't bet the ponies in a fdew years!  I wouldn't call it beginner's luck because I went through my normal betting routines as far as eliminating horses and choosing my winner.  Maybe it was just back-at-it-again luck!
 
Look, I'm as Anti-Bush liberal as they come but these lyrics in Jadakiss' latest single "Why?" are ridiculous.  "Why did Bush knock down the towers?"  Give me a break.  The 9/11 attacks were acts of war on our nation by extremist terrorists and there was very little Bush, or any president, could have done to prevent them..  On other hip hop news; I saw video proof that Ma$e is back in the rap game.  His song "Welcome Back" contains samples and elements of the theme song to "Welcome Back Kotter" so you know I'm partial to that creativity!  Glad to see him back, he was one of my favorites of the late 90s. 
 
Did Jorja Fox and George Eads get the same advice the baseball umpires did a fedw years ago?!  CSI will surely go on without them.  William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger are clearly the stars; everyone else is 1A.  Same with CSI Miami and Caruso, he's the star, everyone else 1A (although Emily Procter is hot and that is an element the original show is lacking.)  Sorry if $100K an episode isn't good enough for you Jorja and George, don't let the door hit you on the way out!  Career suicide if you ask me, being part of a great franchise and getting greedy. 
 
Yo, I peeped the season premier of Season 2 of "Da Ali G Show" on HBO last night and it was off the hook funny.  I especially liked the part where he asked an ATF agent why they used dogs in bomb sniffing activity instead of a smarter animal like dolphins!
 
I saw an interesting piece on the CBS Marketwatch Weekend program yesterday.  It profiled tow companies:  iSoldIt and ActuionDrop.  They are basically consignment companies that take your stuff and sell it on eBay.  The average commission paid to iSoldIt was 33%!  What a ripoff!!!  It just goes to show the general lack of PC skills of many Americans.  Scanners and digital camera sare about as basic as it comes yet people are dropping their stuff off at these places and having someone else to the work.
 
From the "Did You Know" category:  Bill Clinton drove a 1970 Gremlin during his first campaign in Arkansas.  As if I already didn't have enough reason to like him!  He supported the old American Motors Company.  What I'd give to get a good Hornet or Matador these Days!
 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home