Thursday, July 08, 2004

No doubt about it!

Dateline Miami: Pirates 4, Marlins 3. Another win for Oliver Perez, another save for Jose Mesa (although he made it interesting a la Mike Williams!) and another winning streak started. It’s a shame when you’ve won 11 of your last 12 and are still 6 games under .500, 13 games behind the division leader and in last place!

It looks like Lance is back in the lead at the Tour de France. If he keeps this lead throughout the rest of the month and wins again, maybe I’ll put him in the discussion I had yesterday regarding dominant athletes when I was talking about Kobayashi and the hot dogs.

We have quite a weekend in auto racing coming up. Nascar is at Chicagoland, Champ Car is at Toronto and Formula 1 is in England.

I heard on ESPN Radio 1250 this morning that former Pitt point guard Sean Miller is a candidate for the head coaching job at Xavier. Thad Motta’s move to Ohio State opened the job at XU. Good luck to Sean, I hope he gets the job.

So Ken Lay was indicted yesterday for his part in the Enron debacle. I don’t think this surprises anyone; it was only a matter of time. Lay looks very sickly these days, I guess I would too if in the same predicament.

Much to my surprise last night there were two episodes of Family Guy on TBS. This is in addition to the nightly (Monday through Thursday) episode on Cartoon Network’s “Adult Swim” block of programming. Viewer note: the Cartoon Network episode is back on at 11:00. It had been 11:30 for a couple months but switched back this week. I’m not sure why they keep flip-flopping Family Guy and Futurama, they must be a bunch of bleeding heart liberals running Cartoon Network! I liked FG at 11:30 because then I could watch “The Daily Show” at 11:00.

I’m not sure if the TBS thing is a one-shot deal or weekly. According to my TV Week from the Post-Gazette, there are no other weeknights that it is listed for. I guess it goes along with TBS’ switch to a comedy network with the endless barrage of Seinfeld episodes and the heavily edited, remade-for-syndication Sex and the City.

Back to Family Guy, if you haven’t watched this show yet you’re doing yourself a major disservice. Look, I’m a Simpsons guy and I will be ‘till the end. They were the original. I also enjoy South Park very much. But Family Guy is just too funny. I can’t wait to see what the new episodes are like.

More TV: two new talk shows debuted last night. Alf was corny but hey, who cares it’s a puppet. What’s more scary is that I watched a few of the original Alf episodes that aired after the talk show and maybe I was just a kid and it was “cute” but I don’t remember that show being that bad! No wonder it really hasn’t popped up in syndication much. Shows like Three’s Company, Cheers, Sanford and Son are timeless to an extent because they’re still funny. Even Who’s the Boss has its moments (and if anything, it’s fun watching puberty attack Alyssa Milano right before our eyes!). But Alf, it just doesn’t work today. And that cast is a virtual “where are they now?” Seriously, has anyone seen Benji Gregory in ANYTHING!

McEnroe just plain sucked. It was choppy and looked well, inexperienced. McEnroe appeared more like an uncomfortable guest on Letterman than an actual host. I can’t see this show lasting the summer.

In closing, if you have a copy of “My Life” open it to page 95. There’s a funny piece on GW’s stance on the confederate flag! As far as the book, well, so far it is the most true of a book being exactly what the title is. He really spares no detail and I’m not necessarily saying that’s a good thing. Oh well, where I am he’s almost done with college so it should start to get more interesting.

PS-I’m VERY disappointed in Ann Coulter’s latest “column”, she only uses “liberal” once. Don’t worry, the “writing” hasn’t gotten any better! I guess it’s breaking news that John Edwards is a trial lawyer that made a lot of money!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home