Friday, July 02, 2004

Be careful with those M-80s!

Yes, I’m leading with auto racing. Paul Tracy has the provisional pole for the Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland. Qualifying will resume today at 1:45. Ironically, he got it because another driver was penalized for blocking. Normally it’s Tracy, the original bad boy long before the #20 Home Depot car, that’s mired in controversy but not this time.

Say this ain’t so: Coach K to the Lakers?!?! Please don’t make me have to do the laundry list of college coaching greats (and really goods for that matter) that failed miserably in the NBA. The association is the hardest league to coach in. Players are constantly getting coaches fired. I don’t know why Coach K would ever want to leave Duke. I’m saying this as unbiased as it comes since I can’t stand Duke. I pity the fool that follows him if he does leave, just like I pity the fool that will follow JoePa when he leaves PSU. It will be Bear Bryant and John Wooden all over again.

I am going to make a conscience effort to watch the Tour De France this year. I guess most of the coverage is on the Outdoor Life Network. It’s not that I’m a big Lance Armstrong fan, but it will be neat to see things progress throughout the month. There was a nice color map in USA Today yesterday that charted out the course. I think I just want to appreciate it when I hear the reports on the TV and/or radio.

In today’s USA it is reported that Apple has delayed the shipping of the new version of its once red-hot iMac desktop. While I once was really caught up in the hype of the iMac (although I never bought one) I really am a PC guy now. Apple will always have the school market locked down as well as its loyal following, which has almost achieved cult status, but for my money Dell is the way to go.

Three quick Pittsburgh stories, first I mentioned the other day about Howard Stern’s comeback to the airwaves here. Well, not only that be he unseated the entire station. B93.7 is now known as K-Rock (not to be confused with K-Billy from Reservoir Dogs!). Gone is the format of Top 40, replaced with classic rock to compete directly with Pittsburgh powerhouse 102.5 WDVE. I don’t think that’s a good move, but I am glad Stern is back on the air. Not that I’m a fan, but I don’t like how Clear Channel basically censored him.

Secondly, the Post-Gazette reported yesterday on its front page that Superintendent of Schools John Thompson is most likely gone when his contract expires next July. The board opted not to extend him, essentially making him a lame duck. No big loss as far as I’m concerned. Here is a guy who refused to see anything anyone else’s way, refused to cooperate with the school board, etc., etc. Look, I think the school board is antiquated but while it’s still around the superintendent has to at least make the effort to get along with the board. Tony Norman, a columnist who I respect very much, today wrote that Pittsburgh didn’t give him a chance because he wasn’t from around here, wore fancy clothes and wouldn’t embrace change. Look, I’m for change as much as the next guy, when it makes sense. You can’t just go around blazing trails when they aren’t there to be blazed. Good luck to Thompson, who will probably go on to the revolving door that is the Washington DC public school system!

And lastly, not a Burgh story as much as a story for the entire commonwealth. State senators, by a tally of 30 to 20, voted yes on slots yesterday. The ball in now in the House’s court. Slots will be the savoir of the horse business in Pa, as well as a boom economically for business lost to WV, NJ and Delaware. It appears that the bill will pass so long that the sides can agree on what exactly to do with the profits. This is light years away from previous state administrations and their complete lack of even giving slots a chance. Maybe in 10 years you can go on the Gateway Clipper and play slots, then on your way home, stop at Giant Eagle and pick up a six-pack of Miller!

I’m disappointed in Ann Coulter’s latest “column” as it only featured the word liberal three times. She seems to be losing her touch! Now she’s a week late with her “surprising” criticism of Fahrenheit 9/11.

How’s this for a segue? I saw the film last night and I actually was surprised that it wasn’t more slanted than I thought it would be. Sure there were potshots at Bush throughout (the way the movie ends is particularly funny!) but there was also some very emotional parts too. I like how Moore brought to light that the poorest of Americans (many from his own poor hometown of Flint, Michigan) are fighting a war in Iraq that has the richest’s interests at heart. The movie was thick on conspiracy theory, which is probably to be expected. I like the beginning to with the shots of the news coverage of Election 2000. It was a neat reminder, in this post 9/11 world I had forgotten what a complete and udder mess that whole Gore/Florida thing was. I’ll never forget going to bed thinking Gore had won. As Lee Corso would say, “NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!”

Have a great 4th of July! God bless America and keep our troops safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home