Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Not Quite an Inside-the-Park Home Run but good enough!

I read this morning where Somerset’s football coach resigned. That program is a mess and it’s a shame. Sure they got to the playoffs this past year, but come on, that was on a 4-5 regular season record. Don’t get me started on too many teams making playoffs these days, that’s a topic for another day. It has to be a challenge to try and build a program at a school district with such turmoil; there have been three teachers’ strikes in four years. Even Frank Krevetski struck out at Somerset. A district that big really should have an established program and it seems to always just hover around mediocrity. An average 2002 JHS squad beat Somerset 41-0. A Class AAA school has got to be more competitive in football than that. I’ll be curious to see how their school board picks to be Jim Foster’s successor. However, I’d like to see the teachers get their contract first.

The stupidity of the powers that be in the City of Johnstown is back and better than ever. I read where a game was suspended because of darkness… …at the POINT STADIUM! Hmmm, here’s an idea: TURN ON THE LIGHTS GENIOUS!

Just as I was ready to throw something at my TV last night after what seemed like the millionth bad base running mistake, the ball was going out of play and Jack Wilson was scoring the winning run. I can’t think Mac would have been too happy with Jack if he gets nailed at third, which he should have. A win is a win.

This is the first installment of the Business Blitz in which I’ll comment on one or two stories I’ve read in the business world. It only makes sense since that’s my field of study; I have to keep it real right? I’ve mentioned it before but it’s worth noting again; page one writing in the Wall Street Journal is some of the best stuff out there. There is a great piece on a family feud brewing (pun intended) at Molson. Apparently two cousins have been battling for control over the company for some time now and the board is divided. And as many good articles do, another seemingly good business book is discovered: The Molsons: Their Lives and Times by Karen Molson. That definitely sounds like an interesting read. Grab a copy of the WSJ today and take a look, good piece.

USA Today has a story today about Cadillac marketing right-hand vehicles in Great Britain. I’m not really sure if that is a good thing or bad thing for GM. They need to be in the UK if they want to be successful in Europe but at what cost?

Talk to you all later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home