Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Not Tue(sday) Much Going On Today

If you’re in Johnstown this week be kind to the bikers you’ll most likely see. Thunder in the Valley is upon the region. The main difference this year is that you will see, much to my dismay, helmetless riders. Pennsylvania repealed its helmet law last year. I used to cringe when I would visit Ohio and see bikers not wearing a helmet. Now, I can cringe everyday on the roads in Pennsylvania. Why would you NOT want to wear a helmet?

Speaking of oddities in Pennsylvania legislation; look, I understand the pros and cons of gambling but how do you not want slots here in Pa. Especially here in the western part of the state which Pittsburgh’s financial problems so prominent. Go to Wheeling Downs or Mountaineer Park in West Virginia and you’ll see plenty of Pennsylvania license plates. I’m sure you’ll see the same thing at Dover Downs in Delaware, just people from the Philadelphia area traveling across state lines. I guess proponents are just fine with that money leaving our state and being spent in another.

As for the horse game, look at Dover; the quality of racing there was no better than any other lower level harness track before slots. Now with the revenue from slots, bigger purses are offered for races and the quality of the racing has gotten better. Who doesn’t think the same could be done at The Meadows. Look, I’m a big Dave Palone fan, I don’t think anyone is more competitive, but it’s pretty boring watching him win seven or eight races a night. Face it, there are very few tracks around the country that can be successful on racing alone (The Big M comes to mind). Any advantage that a track’s management can get is fine by me.

How about Martina Navratilova winning a Wimbledon singles match at age 47 yesterday?!

If Kobe Bryant beats his rape charges I’d love to see him in New York as a Knick. I don’t know why, I’m not a particular fan of his but I do like the Knicks (not as much as my Sixers!) and they are in bad need of some star quality. The biggest star at MSG the past few years has been courtside… …Spike Lee! And the double endorsement from Nike wouldn’t hurt Kobe’s wallet either.

My videogame playing goes in spurts, I’m either hot or cold. Currently I’m piping hot as I cannot put down my Game Boy Advance. I’ve been playing Need For Speed Underground and it’s a great game. I can only imagine how cool it would be on PC or PS2. The fun part is winning races and unlocking the cars you can’t access right away. I’m currently in a souped up Volkswagen Golf GTI. The Need for Speed series has always been addicting for me, a few years back I couldn’t stop playing Hot Pursuit for PS1.

Go out and pick up a copy of “My Life” today!

1 Comments:

Blogger Trojan Nation said...

'bout time someone took the bait!!! I prefer to remember President Clinton differently (as you might already know). I feel if you put all the personal problems he had aside, he had a great eight years as chief executive.

It's kind of dull with the summer so I'll bring all kinds of topics here. Thanks for posting.

And don't worry, I'll read the book and give it its proper, unbiased review!!!

June 23, 2004 at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home