Thursday, June 17, 2004

Chinese food makes me drop a Sid Deuce

It was a pretty rainy day in Johnstown yesterday from what my mother tells me. She called me on her cell phone from her car as she was trapped there until the rain slowed down. You know, I was never one to wait in the car, I’d rather get back in my house after getting a little wet but that’s just me.

As preparation for the Ken Lantzy classic continues I realize that Bishop Carroll’s Craig Sponsky is the coach for the North squad. He should be right at home; this is one game where you actually can recruit! Seriously, I really hoped the South wins so that Coach Arcurio can get a little bit of revenge for that horribly officiated game against BC this past year. I think this is the year that JHS finally will be Bishop Carroll. Besides, the game will be at Trojan Stadium and should get a big crowd. Actually, an early guess at the Trojans’ schedule shows a nice home schedule with BC, Forest Hills and McCort again (although that will be an “away” game if the Point is not ready).

I ran across a pretty nice article on the Blairsville Dispatch’s website yesterday. The Dispatch is owned by the Tribune-Review, so you can easily access the site from www.pittsburghlive.com. It’s a nice piece from about a month ago that chronicles Frank Krevetski’s career. I think I never cared for him because during my playing days, he was Bishop McCort’s coach and you all know how I feel about Catholic schools (especially McCort!) Plus, he was the first coach there to beat JHS (did it TWICE to boot, I was there for one of them as a player, not fun at all). His seven years there are just a blip on the radar screen of his career. He spent 22 years at United (’69-’88 and ’96-‘97) and four seasons at Somerset (’98-’01). He’ll be entering his third year as an unpaid offensive assistant back at United. The head coach is one of his former quarterbacks. One thing that I thought was classy, in this day and age of large egos at the top, he admitted he was wrong for going to Somerset. There are so few coaches that admit their mistakes these days, I just found this refreshing.

The rain held off last night and Jose Mesa did the same to the Angels. They did make it interesting (too much for my taste) but that’s OK. Pirates win and I got my Phil Garner figurine!

The amount of media coverage the Pitt Panthers men’s basketball team has gotten that past few years has been tremendous and deservedly so. However, don’t sleep on the job that Danny Nee is doing at crosstown Duquense. I truthfully think that program, as well as the Atlantic 10 conference as a whole, is on the rise. Quick trivia: Which program has a member on the World Champion Detroit Pistons? Answer: Duquesne’s Mike James plays on the Pistons.

Today brings the second installment of the “Coulter Count”. Ann’s latest “column” appears on Yahoo today and features the word liberal or liberals seven times. That’s 1.6 below her previous average. She better pick it up if she expects to get that Pulitzer.

Set your VCR for 60 Minutes Sunday, full hour interview with Bill Clinton. Exposes his thoughts of the right-wing conspiracy, should be good stuff.

Peace out.

(Don't worry, you have to be in my circle of friends to get today's title! Don't rack your brain too much!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home