Thursday, June 24, 2004

...got mad hits like I was Rod Carew

The Pirates won for a change last night, finally having some success in the state of Texas! Jason Kendall, a notorious singles hitter, cracked the game open with his first career grand slam. OK, so it was a cheapy as anything hit to left field at Minute Maid Park but hey, I’ll take it. The broadcast team was a bit on the melodrama, talkin’ ‘bout some “reminded me of Carlton Fisk in the ’75 series!” Come on! Just because a home run hits the foul pole doesn’t give it legendary status. Anyway, if you watch the replay, Kendall is just watching, the fans behind home plate were trying to sway it foul with some reverse mojo. Anyway, a win is a win.

I mentioned earlier this week that the NBA Draft is tonight. I just can’t get excited about this thing. Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard are slated 1-2 by most so-called experts. This Howard kid doesn’t come in with half the hype that Lebron did, I think it’s a bad pick, shades of Kwame Brown for me. But then again, I’m the same guy that said Lebron would be a flop, I’m still eating humble pie on that one.

In somewhat of a surprise move, Sto-Rox three-sport star Adam Dimichele has decided to opt out of his letter of intent to play football at Penn State and will try his luck at college baseball. It’s tough to say which sport he’s best at because he played so well in all three. Unlike Neil Walker, yes he was a good athlete and fine football player but everyone knew his bread would be buttered in baseball. Not that he couldn’t have gotten offers to play football at a Division I school, but Dimichele would have been a better prospect. It’s somewhat of a risky move this late in the game but there doesn’t seem to be any static from Penn State, they claim they’ll do what’s best for him.

I read where the USA Today will be raising its price to 75 cents in early September. Fine by me, I can’t recall the last time I purchased the print edition. I prefer to look at it free online! One paper that I am really surprised that I could view online was the Wall Street Journal. I used to love getting the print edition, I’d know just where in the paper everything was that I liked to look at. Now, I pay a measly seven bucks a month and view it daily online. You’d spend nearly four times that much buying the print version everyday at the newsstand.

Program alert: Michael Moore will be Jon Stewart’s guest tonight on The Daily Show. There’s no one that’s going to stop on Comedy Central around 11 tonight and mistake it for Fox News Channel, that’s for sure!!!

I know cop dramas and reality shows are a dime a dozen, but if you haven’t watched “The First 48” on A&E, give it a try tonight at 10. It’s a really neat show which focuses on why the first 48 hours are so crucial in a homicide investigation. The cool thing about the show is that they don’t always come out on top, many times the case is still pending with very few leads after the first 48 hours have elapsed.

Apparently the returning champion on Jeopardy has won 15 or 16 times and has amassed winnings in the neighborhood of half a million dollars! I wonder if the show is second guessing its change to there being no limit as to how many times you can come back, I believe the old standard was five days.

TGIT, cause it’s Friday for me! See ya’ll on Monday, have a great weekend!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home