Monday, February 14, 2005

Monday Morning Ramblings 2005, Issue VI

Sean Miller was back in the Burgh yesterday as his Xavier basketball team took care of Duquesne 83-72 at the Palumbo Center. Yes, the WPIAL finals will be the first time this year that any competitive basketball will be played at that building. Heck, the Pittsburgh Piranhas of the CBA were probably the last competitive squad that played there. I feel for Danny Nee, every time the program seems to take a step forward, it takes ten back.

More on college hoops: Ron Cook just continues to not get it. He claimed both in a PG column yesterday as well as on the #1 Cochran Showdown on KDKA that he couldn't believe that Jamie Dixon benched Chris Taft and that Pitt couldn't win down the stretch without Taft in the lineup. In his defense, Cook stated that he isn't at odds with Dixon's decision, it's just that he can't believe he had the guts to pull it off. Taft has been a no-show this year for Pitt. Everytime they talk about this guy being a lottery pick, his game disappears. Gray and Kendall are playing much better and Troutman is the star of that team, not Taft. I disagree that the Panthers can't go far without a strong Taft. They took care of a pretty good Notre Dame team in the second half without him. We'll see tonight how #23 reacts. Syracuse away is a tough game, we'll see if he's stands up to the challenge.

I'm normally not a big Pro Bowl fan, but I thought I'd take some of the game in what with the Steeler presence both on the field and sidelines. I wasn't disappointed as I saw Hines Ward get two exciting touchdowns. The AFC rolled.

The Johnstown Chiefs' playoff hopes right now are slim and none. They dropped a game to Peoria yesterday 7-1. They are two spots away from the fourth and final berth in their division and the rest of the year is playing out the string and evaluating talent.

For those of you missing hockey, fear not, the AHL All-Star game is on ESPN2 tonight at 7:00.
Yes, I watched the Jose Canseco piece on 60 Minutes last night. And while I think a lot of what he says is true, Jose still has major credibility issues. The guy writes in his book that he injected McGwire numerous times and Mike Wallace calls him out on it after he says it was only once or twice. Hey Jose, proofread what you wrote before the big interview OK? The timing of BALCO has been the greatest thing for this book. He's acting like he's breaking a story. Had it not been for BALCO there would be no audience for his book. As for the book, like I've told a few family members, I'm intrigued to read, however I won't spend a dime on it. Apparently eight other people feel the same way as I'm ninth on the list to get the book at the Carnegie Library System!

The Grammy Awards Show was last night and although I despise award shows I was somewhat surprised at all the music I own that won awards. Kayne West, Alicia Keys, Maroon 5, Usher and Jay-Z right off the top of my head. Pittsburgh's Nancy Wilson took home the Grammy for jazz vocal album with her "R.S.V.P. (Rare Songs, Very Personal)".

My favorite issue of Parade Magazine was inserted in my Sunday paper yesterday. No, it's not the high school football All-American team as you might expect. It's the Top Ten Dictators issue. It's especially relevant this year as "President" Bush (thanks Ohio) has put an all-out assault on ending tyranny around the globe. As I'm reading, I'm assuming we'll be going to war with Sudan, North Korea, Burma, China, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Zimbabwe and Equatorial Guinea. Of course we all know that the only real possibly of war with any of the above nations is North Korea.

Tina Fey had a great joke during Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live this past weekend. In making fun of people coming forward testifying that Michael Jackson never molested them she announced that she was going to testify for Robert Blake because he never murdered her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home