Monday, January 24, 2005

Monday Morning Ramblings 2005, Issue III

Well, we only get half the Commonwealth Bowl as the Eagles came through but the Steelers did not. As per usual with the Bill Cowher regime, the Steelers just can't win the big one. Especially when the big one is an AFC Championship Game at home. As a Steelers fan I am concerned that Cowher's legacy is going to be that of his mentor's (Schottenheimer): good coach with some good teams but will never win a Super Bowl. Lord I hope I'm wrong.

I finally got a chance to watch my tape of the US Army All-American Bowl. I liked the synergy of NBC by using the Arena Football League ball, especially since the league kicks off play during the off-week leading up to the Super Bowl. That's great for the football diehards for sure!

The announcers mentioned it was odd to see the ball punted, as there is no punting in the AFL.
Back to the NFL, I thought that Big Ben was a completely different QB in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. He seemed to be forcing the ball, aiming it, was overthrowing wide open WRs.

In a rare form of solidarity from a western Pa person, I will be rooting for the Eagles come Super Bowl Sunday.

I was saddened when I heard the news that Johnny Carson died over the weekend. I'm a huge David Letterman fan and have become a big Conan O'Brien fan and am anxiously awaiting when he takes over the Tonight Show from Jay Leno however there will never, ever be another Johnny. He was truly the King of Late Night and will be sorely missed. I can recall watching Carson with my father and how big a deal the monologue was then. It really isn't as big anymore. If you watch the Tonight Show now, or Late Night w/ Conan or the Late Show with Letterman or the Late, Late show with Craig Ferguson (or Craig Kilborn prior) or even the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, you'll see Carson's influence. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and as they same about the Grambling State Marching Band: often imitated, never duplicated.

I enjoyed seeing all the famous people that Johnny "made" like Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Leno, David Letterman and Drew Carey. Amazingly, off the four, Carey looks exactly the same today as he did then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home