Sunday, September 17, 2006

MySpace Blog from 9-13-06

One of the things that caught my eye while I was getting out of my car Friday night was looking down on the field and seeing the Trojans in blue jerseys. I had to do a double take to make sure they weren't warm-up jackets. I thought this was a nice touch rather than the rather tame traditional road whites.

I see no reason why this can't be a trend at all levels of football. So long as the colors aren't too close for the players, coaches and refs to tell the difference I don't see why the whites can't be ditched. This is what is done at most levels of soccer. Some clubs choose white, but more times that not, the team picks a color in stark contrast to their regular kit.

And speaking of contrast, as my brother would say "everyone has a color TV now". In other words, it was thought the changes were made to have American Football jerseys in white because it offered better contrast when TV was in its infancy and still black and white. He, my brother that is, still longs for the return of the USC/UCLA game with both teams in their distinct school colors!

As far as USC, I always have thought that you could switch the cardinal and yellow to blue and black and copy that uni to a tee and have a real classy look. That all being said, I think that this year's unis are great looking.

Now, to my second and final point. I recently came across a person that goes by the name of "Guru" in the LHSports Forums. He has picked against the Trojans each week on his Picks of the Week and I know hindsight is 20/20 but he seems vindictive and against Johnstown. I mentioned this briefly in my Monday Morning Ramblings this past week but I'll go more in-depth here. What I'm going to do is breakdown both of his "expert" calls so far:

Panthers at Trojans (Turf)

Look for the Panthers International Track Star, Holsberger, and wise old owl Ernie Fetzer to start off 1-0 as the Trojans, minus Coach Brian Wright, start to that downward spiral I like to call "Lack-O-Rod". Look for the undisciplined Flood City team to stay close on athletic ability alone but for the Panthers running game and physical defense to take over in the third quarter. Ernie for President!

Panthers by 13

Now, if you're going to pick against JHS, that's fine. I'm objective enough to know that there are some teams in this league will be picked to win against us so I'm not bitter about that. Plus, on the surface, this really isn't a bad pick as PC returned most of their players from a team that beat JHS last year and JHS lost most of it's line.

What does bug me are three things: a) What the hell does Brian Wright leaving have ANYTHING to do with the team's performance. Assistant coaches come and go all the time and personally, I say good riddance and the program added a better coach in Kevin Marabito anyway (that rant's for another day!). He writes this almost from the point of view that Wright was the head coach (God forbid THAT thought!). b) "Lack-O-Rod". That's clever, I wonder if he was up all night thinking of that gem. I can see using a crass line like that last year, but come on, it's two years out now. Furthermore, a 4-6 season a year ago was a setback yes, but not a "downward spiral". The way things are starting this year, it might have just been a blip on the radar. c) "undisciplined Flood City team" Like I said this past Monday, labels are tough to overcome, especially when they were true in the past, but this season is starting off proving this theory completely false. Trash talk and dumb penalties have been at a minimum and I attribute that to Coach Arcurio and his staff.

OK, had enough, well, here's week two:

Trojans (1-0) at Red Devils (1-0) (Natural Grass)

In the only battle of unbeaten teams this week the Devils host the speedy Trojans. With the Devils 0-5 (2 losses to Johnstown and 3 losses to McCort) in Johnstown over the past two seasons, there is no place like home. Last week, behind a strong performance by the offensive line, the Devils prevailed over the Eagles in the turnover filled County Seat Bowl (3 picks and 6 fumbles). In the second half the Devils held Somerset to (–3) yards on seven (7) total plays. The Trojans held the Panthers to a single TD in their week one win. They also had a pair of picks and held Holsberger to less than 100 yards. Look for the Trojans to put eight (8) men in the box and dare the Devils to throw. On offense look for the Trojans to use their speed in an attempt to get on the edge of the Devil defense. The Devils will be prepared so look for this one to come down to the guys in the trenches. I’ll take the finally healthy Averi and the boys in a defensive showdown.

Devils by 6

Nothing too earth-shattering here. I am miffed that how it almost seems equal to the "Guru" that CC holding Somerset to limited yardage is the same as the Trojans' performance against a much, MUCH better PC team. One coached by his hero, Ernie Fetzer! Let's be honest, Somerset sucks. As for one thing he DID get right, yes the game came down to the trenches. And JHS kicked their asses! This game was over in the second quarter, hardly the 6-point win by CC in a defensive showdown!

Now look, I've made predictions in the past and we still do The Pick Sheet on the site (and have been doing terribly so far this year!) so I know what Armchair QBing this looks like. But when I posted a response in the board someone else came to the "Guru's" defense saying that he makes some good points. Look, it doesn't take a rocket freakin' scientist to predict that Bedford should beat Cambria Heights by more than 40 points!

I hope this guy continues to pick against JHS week in, week out, maybe then we'll be looking at 10-0 in early November!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home